Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have had several stress tests over the last few years, as…

I have had several...

I have had several stress tests over the last few years, as well as three echocardiograms. Two of the stress tests were Thalium Stress Tests. Each one of them, the most recent in March of 2016, showed no blockages in my arteries. In recent weeks I've experienced something that I have experienced on some previous occasions over the years. I believe that it's stress related, but, of course, my fear kicks in and I imagine that it's more. Lately I've been feeling at various times a slight twinge or discomfort at various places in my chest: near my right pectoral muscle, lower chest, etc. None of them feel like a clinching fist or a heavy weight on my chest, and they do not seem to be precipitated by exertion. I recently was in Europe and I hiked and climbed many steps, and I seemed to be okay. But, the more I fixate on it, the worse more it continues. It seems that when I'm distracted, I don't feel anything. Also, it seems to be accompanied by gas that is possibly trapped in the upper cavity of my chest. So, my questions is, how likely is it that I could have developed coronary artery blockage in a little less than a year and a half? I also had a complete physical in February with a normal EKG.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath? We have our lovely Black Belt Customer Support team available to help you 24/7.
Email***@******.***
In the US or Canada 1-***-***-**** Available 6am to 9pm PST
In the UK 0-***-***-****
In Australia 1800-679-634
In New Zealand 0800-452-621
From anywhere else 1-***-***-****
Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm not really experiencing shortness of breath, and I have experienced similar sensations at various points in the past.

Answered in 1 minute by:
8/20/2017

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Were all the tests you had prompted by the symptoms you're describing now?

No, my internist had me have the first stress test because there was a small difference in the EKG he did from the last time, but everything was fine. The last two I think were just because of family history and age, etc. I've never been experiencing anything at the time I've been examined.
It would be difficult for me to speak via phone at the location where I currently am.

And how long do these chest sensations last?

And the phone call offer wasn't from me and you don't have to accept it

They are of varying lengths. They tend to come and go. I'm not saying that I believe that my nerves create them, but I do tend to "check myself out" to see if I'm feeling anything, and generally if I start worrying or thinking about it, they are generated.

OK

Simply put your heart is fine considering all the testing you've had and also simply put you couldn't possibly have developed significant coronary artery disease since the last tests

These could be muscular/chest wall related or sometimes a bout of gastric acid reflux but they simply aren't cardiac related and you don't need to worry

Please let me know if you need any more information

I know I read correctly, but I just want to reiterate that it would not be possible for significant coronary artery disease to have developed in the time since February of 2016? And, I do have reflux. I take omeprazole for it, but it isn't completely controlled.

No, no way in a year and a half could you have possibly developed enough coronary artery blockage to be giving you angina-like symptoms

Thank you so much!! You've assuaged my fears, and I truly appreciate it.

My pleasure and call on me anytime

Please click on the 5 star excellent rating icon so I can get credit for my time with you

I will, and I will request you next time. Thank you so much.

Take care