Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm a 25 year old male, uncircumcised and I still have this

I'm a 25 year old...
I'm a 25 year old male, uncircumcised and I still have this tingling/pin prick feeling on the glans of my penis. It's not constant feeling, it comes and goes. I've been tested for stds along with urinalysis/culture also a swab of the glands and urethra and all came back negative. I did however got diagnosed with yeast infection on July 24th and I've been taking nystatin clotrimazole cream twice daily and I just got done using the last bit of it. Any idea of what this could be? I've seen my primary care and a urologist and the urologist says that I look fine and healthy. I do have an appointment with a dermatologist on August 30th. And I was told it's probably not HPV since that is my main fear. I do get a small red rash on glans of penis but I believe it is from irritation of rubbing against clothes. Please help
8/20/2017
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you.

From your description it is not herpes, but most likely a fungal/yeast infection (jock itch). Since you have completed treatment with an appropriate medication for fungus, may I suggest you wear 100% cotton underwear. Perspiration can cause a recurring yeast infection. Any made made fiber such as polyester or nylon can increase perspiration and prolong an infection of this type. Also washing with a mild soap such as baby wash or shampoo can be less irritating than most other forms of soap. You may also try over the counter 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice daily which will help reduce any further irritation.

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Okay I will definitely do that! One more question I know I've already been told its probably not HPV from another doctor but does any of this sound like it to you?
also was it the yeast infection that caused this tingling/pin prick feeling? And how long do you think this feeling/irritation will last?

HPV usually presents with warts, not just redness/irritation. So your chances of this being HPV is very very slight.

The symptoms you have, tingling irritation should resolve after the rash is gone, 2-3 weeks. Unless, you are getting continued irritation from rubbing against clothing and perspiration, especially if you wear undergarments containing man-made fibers or if you wear no underwear.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Thank you so much Dr. Stan you have really helped me today. I hope you have a great day!!

You are welcome.

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor