Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Dr. Muneeb Ali I was given samples of ketoconazole several…

Dr. Muneeb Ali I was given...
Dr. Muneeb Ali
I was given samples of ketoconazole several weeks ago. i have been using it for several weeks. It goes on and stays off and on. which of these two are better terbinafine or fluconazole. I seethe dermatologist Monday at 1;30. They need a prescription if I want the larger dose. I really don't want to take another pill. I take enough now. Which one should I ask her for that will give me the effect i need to get rid of this for good without hurtings my insides. I read you response several times about the side effects of fluconazole. do the three come in topical form, do they both have the same side effects. I think I need the strong dose. Also add Terbinafine to the above. Also this is a fungus that has not expanded and if it is a gel or cream does it need to be put on the scrotom as well.
8/19/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome back. Actually fluconazole is the stronger drug of these three as it is used for management of RESISTANT cases of intertrigo. If the topical creams dont work then an oral pill is used in most cases. Secondly yes there are side effects as i mentioned in the previous question but they DONT occur in every patient and in most patients, the worst side effect that you can have is a little nausea or indigestion but usually patients tolerate the drug quite well. Those side effects occur in about 1-2% of the people who use the pill.

Fluconazole may be available in topical form in some regions but commonly it is not used topically, it is used in oral form. If the fungus spreads to another area then YES it needs to be treated with a topical cream unless you are taking the oral drug in which case the oral tablet will attack the fungus everywhere.

Additionally terbinafine is available in topical form and it can be used if you want to avoid fluconazole, but as i said fluconazole tablets are the strongest of the three.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

What about the terbinafine? topical cream, effectiveness oral?

terbinafine is usually used in topical form here, it is an effective method of countering the intertrigo. You can try using it first if you dont want to shift to oral fluconazole right now.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor