Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was told by my urologist I have a Over 500 g prostate? I…

I was told by...

I was told by my urologist I have a Over 500 g prostate ? I didn't think that was possible

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, none

8/19/2017
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

We don't measure prostate size in grams but in cc (volume). If normal is in the 30 range then it's quite possible to have a prostate at least 10x that size.

However, even the largest prostates can function fine and allow urine to pass through though some will need medications or surgery for relief.

I only seen the report for a moment I possibly miss read it perhaps said 500+ cc . That being said that would be outside of the realm you just stated

Yes. Usually that report comes from an ultrasound report. And with BPH which is the condition of benignly enlarge prostate, the prostate will usually be in the size range above 150cc.

I did go through and ultrasound . So are you saying that a number of 500+ cc is possible ?

Correct, 500cc is possible.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3997546/

Note that the studies report grams once the prostate has been removed and weighed. Otherwise the US shows the volume which is shown in cubic centimeter (cc)

You stated that 30cc was normal that would mean my prostate is approximately 17 times larger than normal , correct ? So I'm sure you can understand why I was questioning it
Being it's so large I would think they would want to remove it relatively quickly yet my next appointment is in two weeks

Correct, that would be 17x the normal.

I don't think they would rush to remove it unless you have bladder obstruction since such surgeries are incredibly involved and need to be scheduled and well planned for. In urology we usually try medications first before going for surgery. So again, it depends on your symptoms not the size of the prostate as to whether surgery is the next best option.

I see , my only noticeable symptoms is having to urinate very often . And not very much volume . Thank you for your help you put my mind at ease !

I would try and see what medical options your doc can offer. I sometimes recommend the over the counter supplement Saw Palmetto, as long as it doesn't interact with any other meds you are on. if that works great, nothing else I would do, not even surgery. If not then I opt for something like hytrin or flomax. And finally, if those don't work I add in finasteride. If all that fails and my patient is still experiencing problems with urination which is interfering with their lifestyle then I opt for surgery.

Hope I was able to help.

Please "Rate" this question when you are done.

Thank you for allowing me to offer you my expertise.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD