Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I've been having stomach problems..,now when I eat I feel

I've been having stomach problems..,now...
I've been having stomach problems..,now when I eat I feel like a rubber band is wrapped around half of my stomach
JA: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?
Customer: A couple months, no vomiting, I take omeprsole and ranidine but has not been working
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I worry about cancer , my mother father and brother passed with cancer
I know I have ulcer symptoms that's why I'm talking omeprosol , but I feel like it's something more. Eating is different now because of the feeling of fullness. I recently had labs done that came back fine
I don't eat much bread because it seems to not dihedral in y stomach. My stomach feels best with yogurt or soups, but that's hard to stick with.
Are you still here?
8/19/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see your question, let me review it and ill get back to you in a few mins.

Now from what you are describing there are a couple of conditions which can cause this sort of pain, yes gastritis and also ulcers can be a cause of this problem quite commonly and if omep[razole is not working here then you should be shifted onto a stronger drug which means that you should be started on esomeprazole or rabrapzole or pantoprazole or even dexilant. Many a time a stronger drug or even a higher dose of omeprazole is effective where the lower dose is not. Secondly you should be screened for H.pyroli infection which can commonly cause this problem as well, this would infect the stomach and cause the symptoms that you have, This can be diagnosed with the help of a simple stool for antigen test and also with the help of simple urea breath testing. the treatment is short course of antibiotics to eradicate the bacteria.

Yet another cause of this could be associated with gastroparesis which is a condition in which the stomach is unable to empty its contents in time leading toa feeling of fullness in the abdomen. This would be diagnosed on the basis of a simple clinical examination, stomach motility studies and emotying studies. Usually simply using a motility agent like erythromycin or metolcopramide would solve the problem.

Now this is UNLIKELY to be cancer as that would also cause black colored stools, vomiting with blood in it, loss of appetite, weight loss, stomach cancer causes dramatic weight loss in most patients so i dont think this is likely to be cancer however i would recommend getting an endoscopy done which will diagnose the problem of ulcers, gastritis or even h.pyroli infection quite easily. If the endoscopy is normal thena CT scan of the abdomen should be done to look at the pancreas and the gallbladder which when inflammed can cause this problem as well.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
No thank you, ***** ***** sense and I will follow up with s provider and check into changing medication... thank you for easing my mind.

You are welcome.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor