Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Can a person swallow their tongue whilst eating or

swallowing saliva or liquid?...
can a person swallow their tongue whilst eating or swallowing saliva or liquid?
8/19/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Actually this is a common myth perperated by movies and books etc however it is medically impossible to swallow your own tongue, simply because the tongues is attached to the inside of the oral cavity and it CANNOT be swallowed either during swallowing of liquids or saliva or even during a seizure. The worst that can happen during a seizure is that you could have a tongue bite but NO swallowing of the tongue can occur at all. It is medically impossible because the tongue is rooted to the floor of the mouth by the lingual frenulum. The lingual frenulum is the small mucous membrane that extends from the floor of the mouth to the mid-line of the tongue. This makes getting the tongue far enough back in the throat to actually swallow it impossible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali