Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I'm afraid I have taken a bit too much baking soda in a bid

Hi, I'm afraid I have...
Hi, I'm afraid I have taken a bit too much baking soda in a bid to get alkaline ( due to gout). My blood pressure reading is 174 over 107, and pulse is 101. I also have pins and needles in my left hand, and I am shaking (probably just nerves!) What can you recommend? Thanks.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Any other symptoms?
Customer: Just the last hour or so
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have had prostate cancer (removed three years ago) and I have emphysema in both lungs but that is not getting worse
8/17/2017
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Your blood pressure is too high and you are having symptoms as well. I would recommend you to seek urgent care to lower down the blood pressure and flush the soda out of your system. Meanwhile take lots of fluids and take your blood pressure medicine if you are already hypertensive.

Hope this helps.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of your screen.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Thank you very much. Is it necessary to go to hospital, or can I simply drink loads of water?

Thanks for the reply.

You can observe for for some hours if it improves then nothing much to worry about but in case symptoms get worse or blood pressure gets further high, do seek a urgent care.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor