Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had an abdominal surgery with a small bowl resection due…

Customer Question
Hello , I had an...
Hello , I had an abdominal surgery with a small bowl resection due to complications of mecels diverticulus back in 2016, I had massive blood lost due to bleeding and had emergency surgery done. After the surgery they have done resection on a part where diverticulosis was located and I was sent home. After few month my stool was different than it was before the procedure, I thought it will be a temporary experience but now even a year and 6 month latter I have an urge to use a bathroom 2-3 times a day, most of the time stool is not completely solid and I see a moisture in it . Also if I feel I need to use the bathroom it is not something I can put of and go on with my life ...
I'm concerned it's a permanent condition, would you advise if there is a solution to this will continue all my life?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
8/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 10 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having these issues after your surgery.

these symptoms sound directly related to your bowel surgery and can often happen in patients.

some patients have to change their diet or take medications to help slow down their bowels to have less frequent bowel movements

eating bananas and rice can slow down your bowels

using anti-diarrhea medications like loperimide or Imodium or cholestyramine can help slow down your bowels.

taking a probiotic pill daily could help your bowels

let me know if you have questions.

Hello thanks. Is this a permanent condition, does Intestines recover after resection ? They removed small part maybe 2 inches. Also if there any treatment possible now besides diet

it may be a permanent condition

only more time can tell

intestines can recover after surgery

but surgery can also cause scar tissue and can affect how intestines work for a long time.

regular exercise can help your bowels work better.

eating more fiber and fruits and vegetables can help your bowels.

medical marijuana could help your bowels work better.

anti-diarrhea medications like I mentioned could help.

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Medical marijuana is not something I consider, My main condition was mecels diverticulus if I would never had a surgery wouldn't it be better to have it than having a surgery?

was the mecels diverticulosis causing your pain or symptoms before? how large was it?

Prabobly 3 inches, it was bleeding but perhaps if bleeding wouldn't happened , was that something I could go by all life ?

bleeding would have been a problem and would have caused you a lot of loss of blood over time.

you needed the surgery to fix the bleeding problem.

Does that affecting functionality of the body, metabolism or can that affect life spin . If there is disbalance of observation of nutritions because I do see something like peaces of products I eat ?
I guess there is nothing you can help me with

loss of blood long term can affect your blood counts, energy levels, iron levels and can cause shortness of breath and severe fatigue over time.

are you taking a stomach acid reducer? reducing stomach acid can sometimes cause foods not to fully be broken down in your stool.

No the blood lost was only during a period before surgery. Yes I was talking it because I had stomach burns, also if I consume alcohol does that make stool loose ? If surgery was 18 month ago would that be enough time for tissue to heal

yes, drinking alcohol can cause your bowels not to work properly and can cause loose watery stools.

the tissues have healed already

but the bowels sometimes may not work the same way after surgery

Does bowl movement is faster ? So those changes are permanent condition I guess if tissue is not a reason. It makes me feel different . Can it affect sex drive ?

yes, alcohol can cause bowel movements to be faster

yes, bowel surgery can cause bowel movements to be faster.

bowel surgery should not affect sex drive.

If I use loperamide or Imodium or cholestyramine it would only have a temporary affect or it can make long term progress?
Also how much time as you mention can show if there willl be a change on a bowl functionality. As well can it be short bowl syndrome is only few inches were removed

it would help you with bowel movements that day

you may need to use them daily to help decrease your bowel movements daily.

if you stop alcohol use, your bowel movements could improve in a few days afterwards

check attchment

yes, it sounds like you needed the surgery to fix your bleeding Meckel's diverticulum.

Could bleeding happen later in time ?

no, you don't have to worry about bleeding now that the Mecke's diverticulum has been cut out

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com