Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Why do I have to fast, then lie flat for 30 minutes before

Customer Question
Doppler studies of the carotid...
Why do I have to fast, then lie flat for 30 minutes before Doppler studies of the carotid artery ?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Yes... my doctor has ordered this for tomorrow morning
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have a complex history including asthma, mild pulmonary fibrosis and Addisons Disease
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
8/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 3 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

radiology departments who do radiology tests often have a policy of fasting prior to scans and test, often times because contrast agents used for scans can cause nausea and they don't want their patients to vomit during the test.

this doppler scan doesn't tend to use contrast in the scan, but it could be a department policy for all scans.

laying flat for 30 minutes prior to the scan can help your blood pressure equilibrate prior to the doppler ultrasound which will give a better result with more stable blood pressure.

the ultrasound of your carotids will also look for plaques and narrowing of your arteries in your neck as well

let me know if you have questions.

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician