Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My husband has been very fatigued for several months, only

Customer Question
staying up long enough to...
my husband has been very fatigued for several months, only staying up long enough to eat a little and shower. He has had blood test and could find nothing. I remember something that Cher had years ago called ?-Barr. Could you tell me about this and the symptoms.
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: They did all kinds of blood test, with testing for lyme disease, RA, Legionlla and H-Pylori.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No he has been very healthy and active and this is just not normal for him.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
8/16/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 3 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

I am writing you the answer and it may take 3-5 minutes.

Epstein Barr virus is one of the commonest virus to affect humans. It may cause;

Infectious mononucleosis

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Multiple sclerosis

SLE

This can be diagnosed by;

1) EBV antibodies

2) IgM and IgG antibodies directed against the VCA of EBV are useful in confirming the diagnosis of EBV and in differentiating acute and/or recent infection from previous infection.

This can cause lingering fatigue.

The common causes of fatigue are;

Thyroid disease

Connective tissue diseases

Chronic anemia

Neoplastic disease

Chronic infections like Epstein Barr virus

Endocrine diseases (Addison disease).

Chronic fatigue syndrome

Myasthenia Gravis.

The investigations advised are (most of which your husband must have undergone):

Complete blood count (CBC)

Liver function tests

Thyroid function tests

Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)

Serum electrolyte level measurement

Immunoglobulin M (IgM)/immunoglobulin G (IgG) coxsackievirus B titer

IgM/IgG human herpesvirus 6 (HHV-6) titer

IgM/IgG C pneumoniae titer

Autoimmune panel

Anemia panel.

Tumor markers

C-reactive protein.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor