Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am supposed to have hypothyroidism. I take levothyroxine,

Customer Question
I am supposed to...

I am supposed to have hypothyroidism. I take levothyroxine, .75 macrograms a day, I've always been a small person, but at first I gained weight and since on meds have lost down past my normal weight. Is this associated with my thyroid?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Levothyroxine, Citalopram, Clonazepam. Allergic to Penicillin and Aspirin, Peridiem.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My father had 11 brother's and sister's... 4 have died with it and three have survived, first symptoms were weight loss. I have knots that have been biopsied in breast but said ok, and I have a nodule on my thyroid.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Medical
8/14/2017
Doctor: Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor replied 8 months ago

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Yes, it's related to your hypothyroidism causing weight gain

When the hormone has been properly replaced with the levothyroine your metabolism is faster and you do lose some weight

But, that said, if your weight is now lower than your normal weight you may need to be dropped back to 50 micrograms rather than the 75 you're on now

Please let me know if you need any more information

Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor