Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I took 1,000 mg vitamin D at night, at around 9 pm,

I took 1,000 mg vitamin...
I took 1,000 mg vitamin D at night, at around 9 pm , remembering that I hadn't taken any for days. aNow something is going on. My bp is up and my sleep is being disrupted. Did I make a mistake taking Vit D at night. Some way to offset that, with another vitamin or do I just have to suffer through the night?
8/13/2017
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

Do you mean 1000 IU of Vitamin D? When did you take this? What is your blood pressure now?

137/73. It was up to 148/82 with a pulse of 89 when I woke up with heart beating hard. It has come down. But it is sporadic. I am drinking water hoping to do something. Oh and I took less than .25 mg melatonin with it. Was that a mistake too? I thought it was harmless. Now I have to suffer with this?
I take atenolol for bp and it usually runs about 110/70
What is going on? I have not taken Vit D in about a week or more. I was told my Vit D was too high, and to take only 2,000 IU a day for a while. Now this? I was having serious trouble sleeping.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

It is unlikely that you are having these symptoms due to a one-time Vitamin D intake at night or due to melatonin. Your symptoms of a mild increase in blood pressure and feeling of a heart beating hard are likely due to anxiety.

You should do mindfulness meditation and breathing exercises to relieve the stress and anxiety. A lack of sleep can also contribute to your symptoms. You should make sure that you sleep for 7 to 9 hours every day.

So, you should not attribute these symptoms to Vitamin D. It has no role in this.

Take care.

Did I answer your question? Please reply.

Thank you.

It could be a panic attack I supposed. I woke up with heart beating harder. I have lost sleep in the last few days. I was stressed and overtired yesterday and took .5 mg ativan at about 2 pm for anxiety. It reduced the anxiety some, but not enough to sleep. . I read once where anyone who took Vit D at night would disrupt the melatonin and have a rough night. Is vit D water soluble?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Vitamin D will not disrupt your sleep. It does not matter if you took it at night or morning. This will have no effect on your sleep. What you had read has disturbed your sleep and such inaccurate information can lead to such scary thoughts and worries. You should not believe everything that you read unless it is coming from a trustworthy source or with a reference to a study where this was the result. You should relax and reduce your anxiety to get a good sleep.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you.

Actually, I had not read anything until after I woke up. But I do remember my bp going up a bit to 119/70 just before bed. May have been my hypersentivity from when I went to bed. I will try to reduce my anxiety. I did go back to bed earlier thinking it was just anxiety. I will try to realize it is just anxiety. Thank you doctor. I will rate you now.
While I think of it. Speaking of anxiety. could I take some klonopin now to reduce my anxiety or risk interaction?

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

A blood pressure up to 140/90 is normal and not considered high.

You can have Klonopin now and there is no interaction.

Take care.

Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Thank you. I will gladly rate you now.
Thank you for being up so late to answer questions doctor.

You are very welcome!

Thank you.

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor