Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a large looking sore on my elbow vein that even

I have a large...

I have a large looking sore on my elbow vein that even though I keep putting triple antibiotic ointment and bandaid over it, it breaks open and bleeds all over thru the bandaid. My friends that have seen pictures say that it looks infected badly and I should be seen ASAP. Is there a way to upload a picture of it so you can tell me if it can wait till my appt on Monday morning or not?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

I have a lot of chronic illnesses, the worst being I have severe gastroparesis and dysmotility of intestinal tract since 2003 and I have been in the hospital almost the entire time from May 20th thru the end of July due to blood infections. The vein that is affected is the only vein that I had left for blood draws and since leaving the hospital it has only gotten worse.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Last Sunday I woke my husband up because I felt that I was going to go unconscious that was at 1030pm and the next thing I know it was 330am in the er. I also had two units of packed red blood cells on Wednesday and I have lost 16lbs in 15 days cause I cannot get my tube feeding rate up high enough to maintain my weight.

8/13/2017

Hello I'm Dr Chip

You can use the paper clip icon on this page to upload the photo

Here is the photo
Rather type

Got it--thanks

How long have you had it?

It was small when I left the hospital on July 28th(small poke from a blood draw) and it has just progressively gotten bigger and worse looking and now the last 48 hours it opens when it wants and bleeds all over
My BP is 127/90 and my HR is 114 and my O2 is 98%

OK

It does look a little infected but not in an ER kind of way

But since it continues to open up and bleed you really should have your doctor look at it to see if it actually needs to be sutured

Please let me know if you need any more information

My temp hasn't gone above 99.2 but I am concerned about my heart rate that keeps going higher. I do have an appt with my Gastroenterologist on Monday Morning and will definitely have her look at it too. Thanks
At what point do I need to be concerned?

Right now I see no need for concern but you should firmly place a bandaid over it and leave it there for the time being

Okay. Thanks

My pleasure and call on me anytime