DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

Wake up at night with sharp burning pain running down

Wake up at night with sharp burning pain running down lateral sides of legs. What is causing this?
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: Worse - lying in bed. No pain when standing. No redness.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Diabetes. A1C 6,1 for over a year. No diabetic retinopathy. Do have some degree of retinopathy in feet.

Hi.
Welcome to just answer. I am here to answer questions for education and information. I will respond shortly with an answer, or a question for you

Have you had an MRI of the lower spine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No

While this can be an extension of diabetic neuropathy, it is more common with lower spine disc disease, or even compression of the lower spine itself.

An MRI is needed.

Another test that might also be needed is EMG/NCS which will look at nerve conduction from the spine.

Of course, diabetes, B vitamin deficiencies and many other causes can extend a neuropathy.

I would start with the MRI.

OK, let m know if you have more questions.

Also, please click a positive rating on the rating scale. In fact, a 5 rating squares me with just answer and allows me to provide prompt and accurate service to you, but does not increase your cost. And, I will be here for any follow up needed.