Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I got my results today from a blood test. My AST is 102.

I got my results...

I got my results today from a blood test. My AST is 102. Should this be cause for alarm?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Not really time sensitive. I was worried because of how high. Over double the normal range.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Until 3 weeks ago I drank alcohol sometimes heavily for about 6 months.

8/12/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

It is elevated but not to a scary level

It is just mildly elevated

I would abstain from alcohol, go on a clean diet and exercise for 2 weeks

Then retest

It should go back to normal

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

If it doesn't you might have a fatty liver. This is when the liver stores excess fat from the body.

an ultrasound would see this

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Thank you. I can rest a little easier tonight.