Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have this habit of chewing my hair(a bad habit) should I…

I have this habit of...
I have this habit of chewing my hair(a bad habit) should I be worried especially if I just put shampoo on it?
8/12/2017
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

If you washed the shampoo out it isn't a concern

There is no harm in that

Be careful not to swallow hair though

It can accumulate and can a stomach obstruction called a bezoar

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a 5 star rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-irondoc/

Thanks in advance
Are bezoars fatal and is my action potentially carcinogenic?

see my reply above

No they are not usually fatal but they need to be removed surgically

It is not carcinogenic

What if the shampoo gets ingested?

Nothing much.

It is just soap.

It will irritate your stomach and probably cause diarrhea

but no permanent or serious harm

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor