Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I have been bulimic for several years and actually just

I have been bulimic for several years and actually just within the past few weeks have stopped completely. A cat scan showed thickening of the lining of the stomach. What are the chances this is cancer? I have an endoscopy scheduled but am scared to death. I am in the medical field and know how bad this condition is. I have had no upper go complaints at all however.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Why was CT scan done?

Is it a generalized thickening of stomach or in the part of stomach?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm 35. A cat scan of the abdomen/pelvis was done because I had been having pelvic pain between periods. They didn't tell me which part of the stomach but I also didn't get to see the report.

Do you have family history of any cancer?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, no family history of any cancer and I'm otherwise pretty healthy. My stupidity with the bulimia. Other than having a few varicose veins I have no medical problems. Never drank or smoked either. I actually did have a maternal aunt that had breast cancer. Othervthsn that...nothing.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks!

The thickening of the stomach wall is likely due to reverse peristalsis due to induced vomiting.

CT scan is a very sensitive investigation. The reporting works on the average thickening of the stomach wall in the general population. Any tiny increase would be reported.

This thickening may not be clinically significant at all.

I would not be worried.

Please do not loose your sleep over it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much!

You are very welcome.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.