Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My daughter has misophonia- a very misunderstood auditory

processing disorder. She has had...
My daughter has misophonia- a very misunderstood auditory processing disorder. She has had it since at least age 5 (she is 16) she has been speaking to a counselor for several years who reommended she see an audiologist at the children's hospital. This dr is doing research on misophonia. After a 4 hour evaluation, in addition to the misophonia issue she said my daughter has mild central hearing loss. She recommended that we see a neurologist at the same children's hospital and possibly get an MRI with DTI. She didn't seem concerned, almost like we had a choice, and it was a formality. She said that 99 percent of kids have the same and show noting on the MRI. However, I am freaking out. Why does it even have to be done? I spoke to her pediatrician and he said that the likelihood anything bad will show is extremely low. He also said that sometimes there is no reason for this type of hearing loss/impairment. Google is scaring the heck out of me. She is otherwise absolutely healthy and shows no signs of anything. In fact we would never have known any of this if we didn't pursue the misophonia thing. Im hoping you have some insight and can bring some peace of mind to me.
I guess I'm confused bc she mentioned two things: cortisol auditory impairment and central hearing loss-are the two interchangeable?
Please someone answer my question. I just need some clarity and reassurance that this doesn't have to necessarily be a terrible thing.
Just to better understand what a mild central hearing loss / corticol impairment is. And is it protocol to follow up with neurologist ?
8/12/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for sometime so ill quickly answer this question for you. First off Cortical auditory impairment and central hearing loss are one and the same thing, they are two names for the same issue which is that the hearing loss is stemming from a problem in the auditory cortex or the auditory nerve. This means that the area of the brain which processes sound may be affected by various conditions which is leading to the mild hearing loss. Now since the problem is thought to be in the brain itself so YES it is protocol to get a MRI done in these situations to be on the safe side. The reason for the MRI being that a MRI would tell us if there is any growth or lesion on the brain which is causing the hearing loss. Now that being said in 99% of the cases there are NO LESIONS or GROWTH WHATSOEVER, the reason we do a MRI is because of the 1%, we dont want to miss anything which can be treated easily such as removal of the growth which can then restore the hearing loss. Given that she is healthy and has no other symptoms, i think your doctor is correct in saying that the MRI will be normal but it should be done nonetheless as then we will have proof of no problem existing in the brain (such as the lesions i mentioned)

So basically when we consider central hearing loss we always do get a MRI done and your doctor is right many a time a cause cannot be determined. Sometimes a viral infection in the past could have damaged the nerves or even the auditory cortex, or it could have been a developmental issue or even an infection in the past, there is just no way to know for sure.

But a MRI is still done, you dont need to worry here, IF your daughter did have a growth on the brain etc then she SHOULD HAVE exhibited some symptoms. The MRI is just to confirm that there is nothing there as we cannot actually SEE inside the brain, but we can guess accurately that the brain is likely to be normal. The MRI is just to confirm our suspicions of the brain being normal.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Thank you so much for explaining that to me. The fact there is no rush on this is also a good sign?
And god forbid something was there, is it as simple as just removing it? Is that a rare cause of this type of condition? I appreciate your input more than you know
what is a lesion? Are growths always bad? Can they be benign?

It is a very rare cause for central hearing loss as your doctor rightly said, majority of the time we find nothing and if we do find something, most of the time the growth (such as BENIGN TUMORS like menigiomas etc) can be removed. If it is damage to teh neurons from an infection etc then it cant be removed however it wont cause any problems either apart from the hearing loss. But since your daughter is completely healthy, has no symptoms at all i think the MRI will be negative and you should get a clean bill of health from the neurologist as well. This referral is more of a precaution which is a good thing, i fully support your doctor's referral as she is covering all the bases and is keeping your daughter's health and well being as her top most priority.

Do you have any more questions?

Also yes, since there is no rush to get this checked and evaluated also means that your doctor does not think it is something which is serious. if we think something is serious enough we emphasize an early evaluation.

Do you have any more questions?

Last question, if it were your child would you be overly concerned?

No, NOT at ALL. I would not be concerned at all because of the simple fact that she does not exhibit any symptoms and this is an incidental finding.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
You are so reassuring. The first dr to actually take the time to explain things. Thank you so very much. If I have additional questions at some point can I request you? And again thank you

You are more than welcome, yes you can request me again by going on the link i provided in my previous responses. Thank you for the rating, i really appreciate it!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor