Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

Trouble swallowing- she says she has excess saliva that is

Trouble swallowing- she says she has excess saliva that is sticky and makes if difficulty to swallow. I'm not sure what to do- she will spit it out but it comes back.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: We talked about it with her GP and he said it was a synchronize problem with her swallowing . Does that make sense? She is on synthroid only.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: She is 96 and has been healthy - but the swallowing has become an issue- I don't know it i need to take her to the hospital or will it get better with time.

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** she is feeling better now. So the urgency may have passed. This took about an hour for her to relieve the saliva/phelm buildup.

My concern here is that she is possibly having a central swallowing issue, meaning that maybe the nerves in her esophagus aren't functioning well and preventing her from getting water/food/saliva down. There is a possibility for obstruction as well. Either way, a hospital isn't necessary. A simple bedside (outpatient) swallow evaluation can really tell us what's going on. The GP might not be the best person for this, it's usually done by physical therapy.

Perfect. If it has resolved don't worry. If it happens again please follow my advice. If her saliva is really thick give her some things to induce saliva secretions such as very acidic foods (tomato, lemon, etc).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you so much. There is a PT available for her so I will contact her on Monday and thanks for tip on acidic food.

Ah, perfect.

You are wonderful for taking such good care of her. Kudos.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you.