Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Can Intertrigo be taken in pill form orally rather than

manually in gel form rubbed...
Can Intertrigo be taken in pill form orally rather than manually in gel form rubbed in twice a day, in the groin area.
What are the side effects and which way would be the most effective. Also is this a permanent thing that I have to go through and is this contageous
8/10/2017
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I just came online to see that you have been waiting for some time, so ill quickly answer this question for you. Actually YES treatment for intertrigo can certainly be used in the pill form and usually the commonest pill which is used in this regard is fluconazole which is used in a dose of 200-400 mg once daily depending on the severity of the symptoms. Usually most of these cases respond well to topical treatment with terbinafine or clortrimazole creams however in RESISTANT cases oral therapy is advisable for upto 8 weeks depending on the severity of the infection and the response shown by the patient.

NO this is NOT a permanent thing and usually this is treated effectively with the right treatment but it can be contagious to other people so it is advisable to avoid contact until it improves.

The side effects of fluconazole can include,

• headache,
  • dizziness,
  • drowsiness,
  • stomach or abdominal pain,
  • upset stomach,
  • diarrhea,
  • heartburn
  • loss of appetite, and
  • allergic reactions including skin inflammation, itching, rash, and unusual or unpleasant taste in your mouth.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Does this cause an interaction with the other pills I take---HTZ, potassium,cl 20meq, terazosin,
amlodipine, Alprazolam, Lisinopril, dutasteride, xiidra
Does this have other than interaction problems and what about Intertrigo.
I am using for the first time today Intertrigo. she gave me a sample but the small samples read xolegel ? Is this the same as Intertrigo.
I just found out that it's the same. The sample reads ketoconole Gel%. In your experience which medication would you recommend that would cause the least damage. I think this is the last part of my question. All my other pills are by mouth except for xiidra for dry eye.

Sorry for the late response,

There are no interactions between fluconazole or the ketoconazole and the drugs that you have mentioned. So you can use either drug safely, i would recommend that you use the topical cream ketoconazole for the time being and if that does not help then we can consider fluconazole. Intertrigo is actually the name of the infection that you have, a fungal infection it is not the name of the drug, if you have the cream and it is labelled intertrigo, it is likely to be labelled as such by the pharmacy.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor