Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a question regarding a drug screening we performed on…

Customer Question
I had a question...

I had a question regarding a drug screening we performed on an employee.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

It was a 10 panel urine drug screen.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Performed by Quest diagnostics. The employee tested positive for methamphetamine and amphetamine and I have the levels. I wanted to know with the levels he has if he was likely under the influence of the drug at the time of his accident. His accident happened at 11:00 am on this date and the urine specimen was collected at 11:30 pm that night.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he is a 35 year old male roofer. Time of accident was 11 am and time of collection was 11 pm.his amphetamine level was 859 and his methamphetamine level was 1072. Is there a way to know whether he was under the influence of the drugs 12hours earlier with those levels?
8/8/2017
Doctor: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It is impossible to say whether he was under the influence of the drug based on this urine drug test.

All drugs are detectable in the urine for a period of time longer than they have a physiologic effect, because they are concentrated in the urine. For amphetamines, including methamphetamine, the drugs can be detected for up to three days, even though they would only have had a physiologic effect on the day that they were taken.

Urine concentrations also cannot predict blood levels, because there are many other factors that influence urine concentrations, such as the amount of fluid intake.

These levels are clearly above the threshold of detection, but there is no concentration in the urine that can be said to prove that someone was under the influence.

Since amphetamine and methamphetamine use is illegal, any amount on the urine can prove that they did an illegal act, and employers can take action based on those results for that reason, but not because the urine level proves that they were under the influence.

There is no way to prove 12 hours after the incident that someone was under the influence at the time of the incident.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You helped some however each drug has a peak and half life. I was wanting some pharmacology specific information regarding those two drugs. If he still tested 1082 on methamphetamine 12 hours after the incident, His levels would have been higher 12 hours before. He was in the hospital in medical care during that 12 hours and had no access to the drugs. He was a trauma patient.

The peak and half life is irrelevant for urine drug concentrations. It is only relevant for blood levels.

Urine levels can actually increase during the course of a day if there is a low level of fluid intake. Even if he is in the hospital, they may intentionally restrict fluid intake, such as when trying to control brain swelling.