Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

What is the cause of frequent nausea which is not connected

Customer Question

What is the cause of frequent nausea which is not connected to eating or pain.
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have no pain, just consistent nausea and occasional diziness
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Not really, generally i am healthy. i am 70yrs.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Your present or past medical history as a matter of fact may not give much clue to arrive or zero down a condition (But Labyrinthitis may be connected to it). So physical evaluation is important to get the clues, either for the diagnosis or getting the guidelines for the investigations. Nausea is the unpleasant, painless sensation that one may potentially vomit. Nausea significantly affect quality of life. The causes of nausea are iatrogenic (doctor induced like medicines), toxic, or infectious causes; gastrointestinal disorders; and central nervous system or psychiatric conditions. Following are the main causes;

A. Central nervous system

1) Migraine

2) Space occupying lesion in brain (Mass lesion)

3) Labyrinthitis

4) Ménière's disease

5) Pseudotumor cerebri

B. Gastrointestinal symptoms;

1) Gastroparesis

2) Irritable bowel syndrome

3) Non ulcer dyspepsia

4) Peptic ulcer disease

5) Cholecystitis/cholangitis (gall bladder problems)

6) Hepatitis (liver inflammation)

C. Hormonal

1) Thyroid disorders

2) Diabetes

3) Adrenal disorders

D. Psychiatry disorders

1) Anxiety

2) Depression

3) Conversion disorders

E. Infections.

Chronic nausea is usually a pathologic response to any of a variety of conditions. Gastrointestinal etiologies include obstruction, functional disorders, and organic diseases. Central nervous system etiologies are primarily related to conditions that increase intracranial pressure, and typically cause other neurologic signs.

Numerous metabolic abnormalities and psychiatric diagnoses also may cause nausea. Evaluation should then turn to identifying the underlying cause and providing specific therapies. When the cause cannot be determined, empiric therapy with an anti vomiting (antiemetic) medication is appropriate. Initial diagnostic testing should generally be done by basic laboratory tests and plain radiography. Further testing, such as upper endoscopy or computed tomography of the abdomen, MRI of the brain, should be determined by clinical suspicion based on a complete history and physical examination.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.