Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been having luq pain right under the ribs all day.

Customer Question
I have been having...

I have been having luq pain right under the ribs all day. I've had it before however usually it goes away in a couple of hours.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Constantly all day. Nothing makes it better just not bending our moving to much decreases out. However it's been hurting off and on for the last couple of months

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Healthy except for past female issues that have been resolved

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 1 year ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Do you have increased urinary frequency, urinary burning, heartburn, diarrhea/constipation, nausea, vomiting, fever, loss of appetite, bloating, gas, tenderness on abdomen?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'll be 40 in 2 wks. No rebound tenderness. Just constant pain in luq right under the ribs. Applying some pressure helps with the pain

This pain can be due to gastritis. Mylanta and Prilosec would be able to resolve it.

The other possibility is muscle sprain or costochondritis. Local analgesic cream, Tylenol, abdominal brace and warm compresses will help in the pain.

I would also like to rule out lung or pleura issue if your pain comes with deep breathing. A chest x-ray would be necessary for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Idkn if it's gasritic the pain is not midline it's more lateral to my side at the base of my left ribs

Gastritis pain can occur in the lateral part of the abdomen as gastroesophageal junction is situated there. The other possibilities of the diagnosis are (apart from what we had discussed);

1) A renal colic

2) Hiatal hernia

3) Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD / Acid reflux).

4) Colon spasm.

There is an another organ spleen in the area, But pain due to it are rare.

It is privilege assisting you.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
U continue to have the pain however it is doable out comes as goes.

You may need investigations like upper GI endoscopy.

You may Prilosec and Mylanta.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Take zantac. For acid reflux and still grabbing the luq pain
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Having not grabbing
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

This is Dr. David

I see the other expert has opted out.

what are you eating regularly? are you drinking alcohol?

you may need to use stronger stomach acid reducing medications like nexium or protonix to help decrease stomach acid production.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't drink or eat greasy food. My only addiction is coffee. Zantac works for my acid reflux however, the pain on my luq seems to be unexplainable at this time. It comes and goes sometimes the pain is unbarrible but I just deal with it. It helps to put pressure on the area at times.

you may benefit from seeing a GI doctor and getting an upper endoscopy scope procedure to look down into your stomach to check for early stomach ulcers and stomach acid damage.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Still confused as to y the pain wouldn't be midline and luq if it was gi (stomach) issues

the stomach is a big organ and some of the stomach is located midline.