Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Abby every time I press on my chest it hurts

Customer Question
Hi Dr.abby every time I...
Hi Dr.abby every time I press on my chest it hurts
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Nicole,

Dr. Abby is not online so I am answering you.

Where is the pain and tenderness exactly located?

Since when are your symptoms?

Were any investigations done?

Do you have shortness of breath, difficulty in breathing, sweating and pain elsewhere?

In the middle between my breast. Yes I had a nuclear medicine stress done and also eKG done. They said It is possible that it maybe arrithemia of the heart.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

The best test for arrhythmia is Holter monitoring where an small EKG recording device is worn for 2-7 days. This can detect the heart rhythm disorders. Usually medicines are good enough to treat it.

But since your pain also occur when you press the chest; there can be a concomitant issue called as costochondritis.

Costochondritis is inflammation at the junctions of rib and cartilage or with the breast bone / sternum. Local analgesic ointment, or spray, chest brace and warm compresses with Ibuprofen is helpful in it. Another possibility is muscle sprain. Please read about the costochondritis;

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/costochondritis/DS00626

I would also consider following for your symptoms;

1) Esophageal spasm
2) Esophageal motility disorder
3) Esophagitis.

Helpful investigations to establish and confirm the diagnosis are;

1) Esophageal manometry; evaluates esophageal motor pattern.
2) Esophagram / Barium swallow
3) Ambulatory esophageal manometry
4) CT scan of the chest.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.