Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

Give me information about CRPS, a nerve condition. No to…

Customer Question
Please give me information...

Please give me information about CRPS, a nerve condition

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No to both questions. I am asking for my grandson who is about to have the injection into the back to relieve his condition.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Grandson had extensive bone breakage in his foot that in repairing apparently agitated some nerves bringing about CRPS.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Complex Regional Pain Syndrome, CRPS, formerly known as RSD Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy, is a progressive disease of the Autonomic Nervous System, and more specifically, the Sympathetic Nervous System.

The pain is characterized as constant, extremely intense, and out of proportion to the original injury.

The pain is typically accompanied by swelling, skin changes, extreme sensitivity, and can often be debilitating.

It usually affects one or more of the four limbs but can occur in any part of the body and in over 70% of the victims it spreads to additional areas

Let me know if you have other questions.

I am sorry about your grandson. is he seeing a pain management doctor or a neurologist for treatment?

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician