Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Night time lower leg pain. at about 5-6 hours of sleep I get…

Customer Question
Night time lower leg...

Night time lower leg pain. at about 5-6 hours of sleep I get pain in my muscle on the front side of both legs. If I get up and walk some it goes away. It's not like leg cramps, I get those too, but those at such more powerful and will only go away until a I really work them out. I work out daily, a bike ride or tennis. I drink too much wine, well just more in the last year.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?

Nothing, no redness or swelling. When the muscle lets go I feel a tingling , which I kind of like

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm a 67 year old male, I eat fruit, nuts, daily. Fish 3 times a week , not much red meat. Don't drink enough water

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you have this leg pain.

you cold have restless leg syndrome.

there are treatments for restless leg syndrome such as Requip or Sinemet

these are prescription medications which can help leg pain at night time and help you sleep better.

cutting down on wine could help as well

I will cut down on the wine, but I don't take any prescription drugs, never have hopefully never will. What other ideas?
Doctor: Dr.Saleem, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Sorry to know that. Would like to know if you take any vitamin D& calcium supplements ?

Mineral deficiency such Magnesium / zinc deficiency, dehydration and anemia can also cause nocturnal leg pain. Iron deficiency should particularly be ruled out in this regard.

Have you had any tests done like Complete blood count, vitamin D and ferritin levels ?