Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
5625079

I'm a 65 yr old female with severe pain on my left side

Customer Question

I'm a 65 yr old female with severe pain on my left side behind the breast bone when taking a deep breath with pain in left shoulder and burning pain up into my neck ,Corotted artery area .
JA: How long have you been dealing with the neck pain? Are you experiencing any numbness or tingling?
Customer: No but I have had so much pain under the armpit I can't use my arm for a couple of days ,been happening a few moths now
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Yes I have onsets of vomiting and dirrah every so often for a few yrs now . And was type two diabetic ,I say was because I had gastric bypass June 5th 2017 so not long ago
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Since when is your pain?

Were any investigations done?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
For 6-12 months now I thought it was to do with reflux but it's different cause it's so painfull on left side of chest and in my left armpit and running up left side of neck

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also am experiencing a cough for the last three days that began before the onset of severe pain when trying to take a breath

Cough can be due to;

Sinusitis

Laryngitis

Pharyngitis.

For cough: you may take Robitussin Maximum Strength, with Lozenges: such Vicks cough lozenges.

Another important home treatment is Menthol steam inhalation - add Menthol salts (available OTC) to a bowl of steaming water and inhale the steam two - three times daily - this will relieve the congestion.

Your symptoms of pain are suggestive of;

1) Pinched nerves in neck.

2) Myofascial trigger point.

3) Frozen shoulder / bicipital tendinitis.

Pinched nerves in neck can be due to;

1) Herniated/degenerated disc in neck

2) Cervical spondylosis; bone spurs in the neck vertebrae pressing on the nerves.

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

Following measures would be helpful;

1) Neck care in the activities of daily living.

a) No working on computer for more than half an hour in a single stretch. Same for TV.

b) Monitors and televisions exactly in front (180 degrees).

c) Contour pillow: Should fill the hollow when lying on back or straight. Available over the counter.

2) Cervical Collar or Brace

3) Cervical traction

4) Anti-inflammatory analgesics like Ibuprofen

5) Some physicians do give oral steroids in severe radiculopathy cases, in which pain / numbness / tingling is quite significant.

6) Physical therapy: gradually increasing exercises from passive stretching to active against resistance regime.

7) Electrotherapy in the form of TENS, interferential and laser and ultrasound.

8) Hot fomentation

9) Local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Muscles of the neck and shoulder girdle, and upper chest namely; trapezius, scalene, sternocleidomastoid, levator scapulae etc can develop myofascial trigger points. These are hyperirritable tender spots in palpable tense bands of skeletal muscle that refer pain. This can be associated with degenerative disc disease in neck causing pinched nerves. Trigger points may develop after an initial injury to muscle fibers. This injury may be a noticeable traumatic event or repetitive microtrauma to the muscles. The trigger point causes pain and stress in the muscle or muscle fiber. As the stress increases, the muscles become fatigued and more susceptible to activation of additional trigger points. The treatment is following;

1) passive stretching of the affected muscle after application of sprayed vapocoolant.

2) physical therapy; simple muscle stretch, augmented muscle stretch, post-isometric relaxation.

3) deep electrotherapy; iontophoresis, phonophoresis, short wave diathermy, electrical stimulation, high voltage galvanic stimulation, biofeedback.

4) local analgesic patch / ointment / spray

5) anti-inflammatory analgesics; Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil)

6) ischemic compression therapy; pressure on the points

7) massage

8) steroid shots

9) acupuncture

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life. http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl