Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My 28year old son has a medical condition called MELAS. He

Customer Question

Hi my 28year old son has a medical condition called MELAS. He has had a dry cough for about 4 weeks. No headache, sore throat, aches or pains etc. Over the last couple of days he is coughing so hard that he is making himself self sick. I intend to see GP hopefully tomorrow but need advice now.
JA: How long have you had the symptoms? Do you have a fever?
Customer: No just dry cough.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: He has a medical condition called MELAS
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. I just came online to see that you had been waiting for some time so ill quickly answer this question for you.Now a dry cough of this sort can be due to a number of different conditions, but tghe most likely one here is that he could have developed an infection of the lungs. Given that there is a dry cough, the most likely infection is bronchitis which is inflammation of the airways in the lungs. This would cause an obstruction in the passage of air into and out of the lungs leading to repeated coughing. This may also cause wheezing in very severe cases but wheezing may be absent in many cases as well. This would need to be diagnosed with the help of a clinical examination and possibly even a chest xray. In most cases using simple medications should be able to control the symptoms however given your son's past diagnosis of MELAS, we need to determine which medications can be safely used.

In case of bronchitis, he may need a short course of steroids which would need to be STRICTLY monitored along with a course of antibiotics likely to be azithromycin which is safe to use in MELAS. For now you can give him OTC medications to try and control the cough, these can include drugs like antihistamines such as zyrtec, benadryl or claritin. Additionally he can also use OTC anti cough mecications like robitussin or mucinex. You can have him do steam inhalation with oil of eucalyptus in the steam which can help in this situation as well.

But for now i think you can give him the anti cough medication along with the antihistamines which can help with the cough. if the cough is so severe that he is unable to breathe properly then take him immediately to the ER. Also here is a list of medications which should be avoided or used under monitoring in his condition. It will help you whenever he is prescribed any medications.

Link for medications in MELAS

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/