Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

My 27 year old son seems to be developing a boil in his ear.

Customer Question
My 27 year old...

My 27 year old son seems to be developing a boil in his ear. We are in Haiti - unable to see a physician. We have doxycyline on hand - do you think it would be wise to start taking it?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the ear issue? Have you had any colds or flus recently?

Had a two day stomach flu three weeks ago. No colds. The 'boil' has been forming for about 3 weeks. It hurts off and on. It fluctuates from feeling 'squishy oops - to hard.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I don't think so. Has had the normal Haiti stuff. Zika, Chikagunya, malaria, but is overall healthy.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
8/6/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 6 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

is there redness, pus, swelling, warmth, tenderness around the boil?

these are all signs of infection.

At the moment it is not tender. That seems to change from day to day. It has not developed any pus. There is some swelling, it is red - it is real hard to tell if it is warm, based on the fact that it is in his ear canal. Our doctor in the states recommended that he take Augmentin 875 - but he is not currently available and we forgot to tell him of a penicillin allergy.

I see

yes, he can take doxycycline if you have that until you get back to the states and see a doctor

take it after meals

let me know if you have other questions

Thank you.

you are welcome

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician