Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have congestive heart failour COPD diabetic am on oxygen…

Customer Question
I have congestive heart...

I have congestive heart failour COPD diabetic am on oxygen 24/7 I have gotten to the point I can't walk across the room unless my heart starts racing and I can't breath I also have A-Fib. My heart just seems to beat crazy and I just get weak, can you tell me whats going on

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

YES THERE IS A HISTORY MY BIRTH MOTHER DIED OF CONGESTIVE HEART FAILUR AND MY HEALTH SEEMS TO HAVE GOTTEN WORSE THE PAST SIX MO,

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

NOT THAT I CAN THINK OF RIGHT NOW

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
8/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing it sounds like that the COPD is worsening the congestive heart failure. What happens is that when the COPD is advanced enough that you require oxygen to get around, it causes the arteries in the lungs (pulmonary arteries) to constrict and narrow down thus causing an increased blood pressure inside them. this is known as pulmonary hypertension. Since the blood to teh lungs is coming from the heart, the raised pressure in the arteries causes the heart to pump harder and this leads to an increased strain placed on it. This is why your heart would beat so abnormally because of the increased amount of strain that it is under. These sort of symptoms are usually an indication that the lungs and the heart are getting worn out and unfortunately this is not a good sign.

Now these symptoms may be controlled with variouys medications, the abnormally high heart beat would need to be controlled with medications like digoxin, because this drug would strengthen the heart as well as control the heart rate. Secondly you may be started on drugs to lower the pulmonary hypertension which can include calcium channel blockers or even drugs like sildenafil.

The simplest way to explain this situation is that because of the COPD and the pumonary hypertension, the heart has been weakened so much that it is unable to sustain the increased amount of blood which is required by body to function when you start walking or even exert yourself slightly. This usually means that the heart is severely compromised. In sitiuations like these part from the medications you would be considered for a heart lung transplant especially if the lungs are severely damaged.

I would suggest that you get a repeat Ct scan of the lungs and also an echocardiogram of the heart done to determine the exact functional status of both so that your treatment can be adjusted.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor