Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was told it was normal since the jaw muscles aren't used…

Customer Question
I was told it was...
I was told it was normal since the jaw muscles aren't used to spending time resting in this half contracted position, and it is just a little quiver as any other muscle would have when held in an uncomfortable position.Since then, I seem to not be able to stop putting my mouth in that position and then subsequently worrying about it. How can I reassure myself nothing is wrong?What would some sort of pathological teeth chattering look/feel like? (This chattering isnt visible I can just feel it. In mirror you cant see anything move on/in/around my mouth)
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Medical
8/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Pravin, Physician replied 10 months ago
Dr. Pravin
Dr. Pravin, Physician

Hello

Welcome and Thank you for your query posted.

My name is***** and being a Medicine specialist I would be able to provide you with an appropriate solution to your concern.

Please note that my Goal is to provide you with an Excellent Service .

Before I answer your question I would like to get some more information:

Your teeth are scraped at a particular angle ?

Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

What exactly do you mean by that?

Are your teeth chipping off ?

Oh, no no. They seem to hit each other pretty lightly when I do it.. it is just a newer phenomenon and I dont get why its happening. It is a very sensitive area and doesnt feel too great

Do you have jaw line pain ?

sometimes my jaw hurts but only when I've been clenching my teeth. Last time I saw my dentist~5 months ago she said I have TMJ, and within that last 5 months I've also started the clenching and grinding when I am anxious (which is very often)

Your phenomenon is truly anxiety related.

You would need to make a conscious effort to stop this Bruxism.

Other methods to ease this out is Yoga , Medications.

These methods will stop the clenching effort.

I have been utterly convinced of the fact that I haven't been talking properly for the past two months. I hesitate to call it "slurred" because it isn't according to anybody else and my doctors.after googling it i got all worked up about als or something because I was calling it "slurred". it has been 2 months though like I said so it really cant be anything like thatif im moving my mouth in patterns different enough to keep making my teeth hit each other and clenching my jaw a lot, could that make my speech FEEL different?

Yes , this can cause a difference in speech.

If you go to a speech therapist they can definitely train you to avoid this from happening .