Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I am having upper left pain under my rib cage toward the…

Customer Question
Hi there, I am...

Hi there, I am having upper left pain under my rib cage toward the back, intermittently every other day or so for the last few weeks. Before this I had a "gurgle" feeling when I would sneeze in the same area. My doctor said she could hear a gurgle there but assumed it was my bowels. Now I am experiencing a sharp pain followed by a dull ache for hours.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

No, I've cracked a rib in the area around three or four years ago. Nothing I can tell makes it better, physical activity makes it worse but it comes on randomly as well. Rest helps.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I'm 19 weeks pregnant, I've had a few suspect symptoms of pregnancy that could be attributed to either issue. Gum bleeding when brushing and mucus in my stool. I also suffer from chronic bladder pain, undiagnosed as of yet my urologist hasn't found an issue or disease.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
8/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Do you have any urinary symptoms like burning or increased frequency?

Do you have nausea, bloating, gas, tenderness at a specific point?

I've had chronic bladder pain for three years and haven't noticed a change in my pain, more frequency because of the pregnancy. No nausea for weeks, I have gas and tenderness in the upper abdomen toward my back

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Thank you, ***** ***** is really bad as well but again I can't tell if it's the pregnancy. The pain is intermittent from nothing for days to stabbing and dull throb off and on

You are very welcome.

Pregnancy causes hormonal changes in the body which affect the movements of the intestines. There are some pressure changes also due to womb on the intestines which can cause heartburn, bloating, gas, etc. There may be concomitant anxiety which aggravates the symptoms. Due to pregnancy, only ultrasound or MRI are the medical imaging which be employed for ascertaining the cause. Also majority of the medicines too need to be avoided. So best would be to bank on dietary measures.

1) Avoid

a) Cabbage

b) Beer

c) Legumes

d) Cheese

e) Beans

2) This may help;

Avoid foods that appear to aggravate symptoms. These may include milk and dairy products, certain fruits or vegetables, whole grains, artificial sweeteners etc. But this is based on the personal observation for the aggravating food.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

The pain was there around when I got pregnant, and I'm not very big still. Do you think I should have my spleen or pancreas checked?

Spleen or pancreas usually cause nausea and vomiting than bloating and gas and pain is continuous (instead of intermittent) caused by these organs. So I am sure check up for these would come normal. But there is no harm in getting them evaluated.

It is privilege assisting you.

Hello?

Are you able to see my answer above; I am copying it for you.

It is privilege assisting you.

Okay thank you :) I'll get checked out by my family doctor soon

You are very welcome.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor