Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I had been sitting down and got up and my left calf felt…

Customer Question
Hello, I had been...

Hello, I had been sitting down and got up and my left calf felt very stiff and it apperead a bit swollen

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

No recent injuries. I have been dealing with tightness for a few weeks as I am an occasional runner. Just noticed the swelling a few minutes ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I don't htink so

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
8/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 6 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age and gender?

Is there any redness, tenderness on calf?

Was there any unaccustomed running recently?

Are you on any medications?

Not really, just a feeling of tightness. I have been constipated for about 4-5 days as well, I'm not sure if that would be a factor. No medications and no unaccustomed running
i am 24 and a female

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

Constipation is unlikely to be a factor for calf tightness.

Only tightness would not be indicative of any significant medical issue. Warm compresses / soaks, stretching exercises, Motrin and avoidance of prolonged standing should be able to resolve it.

But if there is redness, tenderness, swelling and pain in calf; you may need to get it evaluated by a doctor to rule out blood clot. A colored doppler study would be needed for the evaluation.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

if there is only swelling and tightness and no pain or further swelling of the area, is it likely that it's a clot. And should I get this checked out immediately or is it ok to wait until the morning? Thank you.

If you are on oral contraceptives, get it evaluated right now as they predispose for blood clot.

If not and it is just mild swelling and tightness, you can wait till morning.

If any of your symptoms progress or new symptoms like redness or tenderness arrive; it would need immediate evaluation.

It is privilege assisting you.

I am on oral contraceptives but it is just very mild swelling and tightness. Is it ok to wait until morning?

We work on high caution.

With mild symptoms; chance of blood clot is low.

But any swelling and tightness in calf need an early evaluation for women who are on BCPs.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor