Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am a healthy per, I am a healthy 78 year old woman. I

Customer Question
I am a healthy...

I am a healthy per

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I am a healthy 78 year old woman. I choked when taking some pills tonight. I have stopped the difficult coughing/gagging within 15 minutes but still cough some. Is it possible to have aspirated some or all of a pill without knowing it?

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Not allergic to any medicines. have sensitivity to codeine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am on chemo every 5 weeks for myelodysplastic syndrome/neutropenia

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/5/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

It is extremely rare for cough to decrease significantly if one has aspirated a pill or some pills. The residual cough is due to a cough reflux or persistent mild throat irritation. But if you have fever, chest pain, breathing difficulty or shortness of breath, an x-ray would be recommended to categorically rule out aspiration.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.