Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I've taken potassium supplements due to having chronic

Customer Question

I've taken potassium supplements due to having chronic diarrhea for months now. I take them 4 times a day 25meq. My potassium had been low, thus the supplements.
My last blood results (last month and before) were in normal range. However, I was told to continue taking them four times a day even in normal range because with diarrhea, I would go low if I stopped. Recently, I was told that taking potassium supplements when it is in normal range could cause arrhythmias and heart attack.
But with diarrhea, it will likely go low again without it though.
I'm getting all kinds of conflicting info now and do not know whether to take the supplement anymore or not. Please help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Yes, it is likely to go low again

you need to keep close tabs on the potassium

too high or too low is bad