Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I have seeked help from a podiatrist, but working in South…

Customer Question
I have seeked help...

I have seeked help from a podiatrist, but working in South Korea, there's a language barrier between myself and the doctors.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No medications, I have been to a doctor, but there's a language barrier and I need some clarification.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No medication. I have no allergies.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Well, it's a long story I'd rather tell the doctor. Thanks

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
8/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA. Please ask your question and i would be happy to help you out.

Personal Info:Male, 32yrs, 185cm, 78kg, fit/athletic.
Activities - Weight training and sprintingBackground
I increased the intensity of my training from June last year, I trained 4-5 days a week my routine included a lot of heavy deadlifts, squats, calf raises and jump rope. From November I began feeling some slight instability in my left ankle but ignored it. By December doing single leg skips and jumping plyometrics started becoming painful in my left ankle. 
I went on holiday and returned in February, this year. It was track season and I resumed sprinting. The pain returned and I could no longer sprint without feeling significant pain, weakness and instability in my left ankle. I saw a GP and was advised to stop training for a month, which I did. After a month, the pain decreased slightly, but the instability was still there. I had an expensive MRI, which found nothing unusual. I waited and rested another 3 months. The pain had almost gone, except after spending excessive time standing. The instability had decreased somewhat, but was still there. I decided to seek help from a specialist.There's a language barrier between myself in the doctors of the country I'm in so it's sometimes difficult getting advice. I've been told I have Peroneal Tendenosis in my left ankle, I've always kept very active and I must have had caused overuse injury as I was weight training and sprinting last year. Recovery has been extremely slow as my job demands that I be on my feet for most of the day. I've continued training yet greatly limited activities which place load on my ankle. My symptoms have persisted since last year and over the last 4 months the pain is pretty much gone (except after spending significant time standing), yet I still feel some instability and weakness in my left ankle. A month ago the podiatrist did an ultrasound and found only very slight inflammation. He claimed that there was no structural damage at all only a functional issue (I assume this refers to instability). He instructed me to begin strengthening the peroneals and this is where things got hazy.
How often should I do strengthening exercises? He suggested twice a day, yet how does that leave any time for recovery, especially as I'm on my feet most of the time (I'm a teacher).What strengthening exercises would you recommend? I own a set of resistance bands and am looking at getting a Bosu ball, yet was advised against placing weight on my ankle.How long before I can return to my previous activity level? Sprinting on the track and doing squats and deadlifts?During my last visit, the podiatrist (a different one from whom I previously saw) claimed that if the strengthening exercises didn’t help I might need surgery. Since I feel no pain, is he exaggerating? Is it simply a question of strengthening my peroneals and the only reason the recovery process
is taking so long is because I’m on my feet most of the time?Many thanks
Reza

I believe i will opt out of this question as you will be better served by an orthopedic surgeon in this regard, i would suggest that you wait for Dr. Sawhney, the orthopedic surgeon on this site. You may have to wait awhile for him though.

I don't mind. As long as I get a reply.
Thanks
I'm waiting for an answer
Family Physician, Doctor