Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pain in my lower back and my sides when i put my…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a pain in my lower back and my sides when i put my head down

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

No Nausea,just pain

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have started to drink a lot more than usual,could this pain be coming from my Liver

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
8/4/2017
Doctor: Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor replied 11 months ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing it sounds like that you may have a problem in the lower back rather than the liver. If you had liver associated pain that would be more on the front of the abdomen and just underneath the ribs on teh right side, it could have radiated to the shoulder or the back but the lower back pain that you are describing is more likely due to a problem with the spine itself. The first thing which comes to mind is that you could have a lower spine issue like a disc prolapse, which could be causing pain in the back as well as the sides. It can also cause compression of the nerves in the area which can lead to the pain. Additionally a condition called spinal stenosis which is narrowing of the spine can also cause this sort of pain. The pain which worsens on lying down can be related to the position of the disc or the stenosis and it could be worsening on lying down hence the pain.

This is why i think the next best step here is that you should get a xray of the lower back which should be followed by a MRI lumbar spine which can diagnose the problem. I would suggest that you start applying OTC capsiacin gel on the area and also use OTC ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily BUT do get the MRI done as soon as possible.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/