Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is a urine analysis the same as an ETG test for Alcohol? I…

Customer Question
Is a urine analysis...

Is a urine analysis the same as an ETG test for Alcohol?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

I was told about an complaint regarding potential concern for alcohol consumption on Wed. I am not on any probation or anything. I stopped consuming alc that day. i was just told i have to submit an UA tomorrow... VERY Time sensitive

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have not had any alc for over 24 so far and it will be 40+ hours by the time I submit the sample... Is threre a difference in detection between UA and ETC?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
8/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

no.

urinalysis checks for red blood cells, white blood cells, bacteria, and signs of urine bacterial infections.

ETG is a urine test to check for alcohol prior use.

a UA would not test for alcohol use.

but a urine test for ETG can check for prior alcohol use in the past 50-80 hours prior to urine test.

even if I stopped consuming alcohol approx 40-44 hours prior to the test I am hosed? Does the test come back pass fail or is there a level provided?
Also is there anything I can do the help pass this test? I am not on probation or anything. I had no reason to believe I would ever need to be tested.

you are not hosed

you have a 50/50 chance of passing the test.

the ETG test is pass fail

is it your workplace asking for this urine test?

No, it is the county... There was an allegation. As soon as I heard about it I did not consume any alc, however the county requested a clean sample prior to being allowed to be alone with my children (I will be 100% OK by Monday) or if I had heard about the allegation earlier. I never stated I had not had alc at all in the past 80 hours, just as soon I heard what was going on..
Will it do me any good to consume a ton of water and not eat?

no, that most likely will not help.

I would love to call but I am not in a private area...

that is fine

you don't have to accept additional phone consult services

let me know if you have other questions.
if done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback
you may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area
you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions
here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com