Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

Is the inability to complete work and meet deadlines as well

Customer Question

Hi, is the inability to complete work and meet deadlines as well as interpersonal problems characteristic of someone in the bipolar spectrum?How would bipolar disorder look like for someone who comes from a very conservative and religious background ( so no destructive behavior such as alcohol consumption, drugs or impulsive sexual encounters during a manic or hypomanic stage for example?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Have been talking to a counselor for just over 2 months but have not been diagnosed yet.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Told doctor that people from my father's side are mentally unstable ( my oldest paternal aunt had schizophrenia and was bed ridden for most of her life and other relatives have issues with stress and anxiety). Also I come from a home where emotional and verbal abuse is rampant. Physical abuse was more prevalent when I was younger. It has happened once or twice in early adulthood too.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I have had problems completing tasks ever since high school ( 9th grade). Things got out of hand in 12th grade where I dropped out and studied by myself to sit for exams needed to pass school in my country. That year I had full-blown out depression for several months. Being in isolation and doing poorly in school makes it worse Praying makes me more stable
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

This sounds more like ADHD

have you been tested for this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No I have not.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been fine after high school in undergrad but during my masters I have had immense difficulty in concentration, meeting deadlines and even finishing a research project.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have been in a masters program this past year and currently have not been able to concentrate in coursework at all, cannot retain anything I study, cannot focus in lectures.
I have been fighting suicidal urges ever since February of this year and was actively looking for ways to commit suicide. So I started seeing a counselor in May and he has not yet diagnosed me. I am taking a leave of absence because right now I am in no shape to finish the research project. So I will not be graduating with my class.