Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a soapy taste in my mouth, and my nose feels like I…

Customer Question
I have a soapy...

I have a soapy taste in my mouth, and my nose feels like I got soapy water up it. What is causing this?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you noticed any recent swelling? Do you have any tooth pain?

I think I have a little bit of swelling on the right side of my neck. But my shoulder has been in pain for a while due to repetitive motion at work. No tooth pain, just a bit of gingervitus.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have IBS, and I am on an antidepressant called Cipralex.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
8/3/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

What is your age?

Are you on any medications, supplements, herbs?

Do you have known allergies, heartburn, acid reflux?

Do you smoke?

44 years old
Cipralex, Centrum for Women, Life Brand Muscle relaxant for my arm.
My allergies are Codeine, Shrimp, and Mushrooms.
I have acid reflux at night when I sleep on my right side.
No I don't smoke.

Thanks for the additional information. I am writing the answer for you and will get back to you in 4-5 minutes. If you get a phone call request, you may ignore it as that is an automated site trigger. Thank you.

My husband just redid the bathroom due to mildew and mold. Could I be having a reaction to anything he used? Paint, Kilz, anything?

The common causes of soapy taste / abnormal taste are;

Fluctuation in Estrogen Levels

Gastritis

Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease

Heartburn

Medications like Antibiotics, Vitamins and Antidepressants

Postnasal Drip

Following also need to be investigated;

A. Nutritional deficiencies are not common with the occasional and off and on taste aberrations. Decreased zinc, copper, and nickel levels can correlate with taste alterations.

B. Endocrine disorders also are involved in taste. Diabetes mellitus, hypogonadism, Sjogren’s and pseudohypoparathyroidism may affect taste sensation, while hypothyroidism and adrenal cortical insufficiency may also change the taste sensitivity. Hormonal fluctuations in menstruation also influence taste.

So your primary care physician / family physician may investigate the blood levels of the hormones and zinc, copper and nickel. Having said that; gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) is one of the commonest cause for change in the taste. An upper gastrointestinal endoscopy is strongly advised to look for it. GERD is treated by;

1) antacids; Maalox

2) acid blocker; Prilosec

3) loosing weight, if overweight.

4) avoiding alcohol, citrus fruits and juices, chocolate, and tomato based products

5) avoiding large meals. Eat 5 small meals in a day.

6) wait three hours after the meal before you sleep.

7) elevate head end of the bed by 8 inches.

Allergies causing sinusitis can be the other culprit and an MRI of the sinuses may be considered if above treatment is not able to resolve your symptoms.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.Thank you.Wishing you all the very best in life.