Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Urgent Care Physician
96392890

I recently was evaluated to donate my kidney to my husband

Customer Question

Hi I recently was evaluated to donate my kidney to my husband at Northwestern. We were scheduled for the transplant this Friday 08/04/17 and they drew final labs on me this past Monday. They are saying my Lupus anticoagulant test came out positive and my PTT was elevated 58.1. They also mentioned it could be a false positive. I do not have insurance. They want me to get a workup to make sure I do not have Lupus. Do you know where I can go to pay cash or can this be proven through blood tests that I can just have drawn at a lab?
JA: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?
Customer: They tested lupus anticoagulant
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: no. I have no hereditary history of any blood discrasias in my family. I have only had a D and C 10 years ago it was a molar pregnancy. I was taking many vitamins when those tests were taken. I even read online that Amoxicillin can give a pseudopositive lupus reading and the benadry I was taking can thin my blood. Those were the only meds I was taking.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Hi, Dr. Ashori here, please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

The test for lupus anticoagulant is only a screening test. Unfortunately, they can be quite often a false positive and further blood testing will need to be done. The easiest thing to do would be to pay for a hematologist office visit in cash which often isn't much more than $100-200. I realize that's not cheap but at least they can get the proper history so that you don't waste your money on incredibly expensive lab testing which can costs upwards of $1,000.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

If that doesn't appeal to you then the only other option is to find a virtual medicine app like Doctors on Demand or Remedy or American Well and have one of the physicians there order the right kind of blood tests for you. You can then take the lab order slip to any laboratory after shopping around for the most inexpensive place and that way you'll save money. You can then bring the results here to interpret.

Expert:  Dr. Mo replied 2 months ago.

Please let me know what questions you have about this and I can clarify further.