Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My right ear filled with fluid per my allergy doctor. She…

Customer Question
My right ear filled...

My right ear filled with fluid per my allergy doctor. She put me on augmenten for 10 days about 2 weeks ago. Now both ears are draining and sore and make noise. This saturday it started again on the right side and now the left side is draining. She is out of the country but read her messaages and gave me 500 mg Levofloxaciin for 10 days. My ears are noisy all the time. I see a ENT but cannot get in until Thursday. Curious about what this might be and how to stop the noise, hard to sleep

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No. I take Cymbalta 60 mg, lisinopril 20 mg vitamin D 2000 probiotics over the counter and stool softner and an over the counter vitamin. I also take asthma shots once a week and have for several years. Allergies to mold mildew and dust mites and also Symicort160/4.5 MCG one puff a day. Asthma is triggered by allergies

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 1 year ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry you are having so much fluid in your ears.

bad bacteria or viral infections in your inner ears can cause fluid production.

bad sinus congestion and allergies can make it more difficult for the fluid to drain out of your inner ear

taking allergy medications like Allegra, 180mg daily, Claritin, Zyrtec and taking 25-50mg of Benadryl at night time can help clear up your sinuses.

steroid nasal sprays like Nasocort and Rhinocort can help clear your sinuses.

you can also try to yawn and thrust your lower jaw forward at the same time to help open up your eustachian tube to help fluid drain out of your inner ear into your sinuses.

make sure you take your antibitoic with food in your stomach

and take a probiotic pill as well to try to prevent diarrhea from the antibiotic.

let me know if you have questions.