Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I went to physical and my CMP was all normal but anion gap…

Customer Question
Hi I went to...

Hi I went to physical and my CMP was all normal but anion gap was high (18; normal 5-17). What does this mean? I have no symptoms.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Weight gain, occasional insomnia.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have history of Hashimoto's and I have constipation.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
8/1/2017
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 6 months ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

That is very little difference.
Can occur from lab error most commonly.
High anion gap is seen usually with metabolic acidosis.
Excess acid production in the body due to diabetes, kidney disease can cause such abnormalities.
Given your other symptoms have you been checked for diabetes, thyroid gland disorder?
Best wishes,

My hemoglobin A1c was normal (5) and so was TSH (2.73).

Your TSH is not considered normal given hashimoto's disease.
Your TSH should be ideally lower than 2.
Hence levothyroxine will help with your symptoms.
Best wishes

Ok, but my question was about anion gap. What does this mean?

Anion gap cane little high from thyroid gland disorder as well.
High anion gap suggests acidosis in the body.

Since you do not have any diabetes, or kidney problem anything serious is not likely.
The gap is only high by one point which is most likely lab error per se.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist