Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years
1304720

I had a colonoscopy on friday. The report says I had 4

Customer Question

I had a colonoscopy on friday. The report says I had 4 sessile polyps in the proximal rectum ranging in size from 3mm to 5 mm. These were removed and sent in to the lab. Will you give me a little information on this diagnosis? I wasn't able to talk to the doctor after the procedure and his office said it could take up to 2 weeks before the results from the biopsy will come in.
JA: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I am a type 1 diabetic. I keep my sugars in tight control. a1c usually is 6.9. I have hypertension and take meds for that and blood pressure is good. I had ulcerative colitus 2 years ago and was
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 2 months ago.

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

Polyps are benign usually. Sessile polyps do not have a stalk. These have risk factor of converting in cancer. Biopsy will tell if any of them had any change from benign to cancer. You would need periodic colonoscopy to look for new polyps.

If your ulcerative colitis has been diagnosed for more than 10 years; removal of colon may be advised as this predisposes for rectum and colon cancer.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.