Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What does it mean when you have pain in your chest right…

Customer Question
What does it mean...

What does it mean when you have pain in your chest right after swallowing and feels like food is having a hard time getting to stomach

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

No and no. This started Friday afternoon with many sharp chest pains until the pains subsided and only returned when I swallow. I am a 74-year-old woman.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

High blood pressure - taking medication

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
8/1/2017
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 11 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

it could mean you took too big of a bite and you are not chewing your foods properly

or it could mean you have narrowing of your esophagus due to scar tissue or narrowing of your esophagus called stenosis

are you loosing weight?

have you had to change the foods you eat?

you may have to see a GI gastroenterology doctor who can do an upper endoscopy scope procedure to look down into your esophagus to check for narrowing and blockage.