Medical

Have Medical Questions? Ask a Doctor Online!

Ask a Doctor,

Medical

I think i have cystic fibrosis, I have been taking this

Customer Question
I think i have...

I think i have cystic fibrosis

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have been taking this medicine called cyprohetadine for 8 years off an on it gives me an appatite to eat i had all the side effects

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I read that cyproheptadine can cause cyctic fibrosis

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No thats the only medication i have been taking i have an still is losing weight i have pains in my stomach but my doctor say its not the medication

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Medical
7/31/2017
Doctor: Dr Stan, Doctor replied 6 months ago
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor

Hello this is Dr. Stan and I will assist you with your question today. I am U.S. trained,

Board Certified and I have 32 years of patient experience. I am happy to help you. I'm sorry you are concerned about cystic fibrosis.

The medication, cyproheptadine can cause thick secretions from the lungs and difficulty breathing, but there is no medical/scientific evidence to support that it causes cystic fibrosis. This drug was studied in patients that already had cystic fibrosis to see if it was effective for appetite increase and weight gain. Discuss if an antihistamine is needed to help with decreasing any post nasal drainage with your doctor. Increased water intake, 64 ounces daily will help thin any coughed up secretions from your lungs.

Have I addressed your concerns?

Thank you for allowing me to provide assistance.

I am available to answer any additional questions you may have.

I hope your medical problem(s) are resolved soon and you feel better. If you find the information I provided helpful, so I am compensated for my service, please rate me with 5-Stars. Thank you

Any additional thoughts, questions?

Cystic Fibrosis is an inherited disease and one is born with this medical problem. It does not develop during one's lifetime.

How are you feeling?

Dr Stan
Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor