Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have weird pins and needles in my arms legs and head. Any…

Customer Question
Hi, I have weird...

Hi, I have weird pins and needles in my arms legs and head. Any idea what it could be. In terms of other symptoms, I have some tightness around the back of my neck and sinuses, but feel pretty much fine apart from that

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

No sign of swelling. The pins and needles in my arms are worse if I stretch them out straight

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not really. i have a small hiatus hernia with refulx, and also mild asthma. But otherwise I think I'm in decent health despite being a little overweight (5ft 11 and 14 st)

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Medical
7/31/2017
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 11 months ago

Hello! My name is***** to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily.

What is your age?

Since when are your symptoms?

Were any investigations done?

I'm 43, symptoms only really the last day or two so no investigations as such yet. I saw an osteopath today who felt that the symptoms were likely to be the result of extremely tight shoulder / neck muscles

Your symptoms can be due to pinched nerves in the neck or deficiency of vitamin B 12.

The other possibility can be side effects of medications if you are taking any for asthma.

Rarely this can be due to dryness of skin or anxiety.

X-ray and MRI of the neck with blood work for B 12 are the steps for evaluation if this persists.

You may start over the counter multivitamins.

Physiotherapy is the mainstay of the treatment of pinched nerves in neck and tight muscles.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Hi, this is still going on some two weeks after it started. There has definitely been some improvement, but not fully. My GP said that he felt that this was likely to be the impact of a virus causing irritation in the spinal column. How likely is this, as it seems odd to me. The arms and leg symptoms are almost entirely "symmetrical" unless I have one hand / foot in a very different position to the other. I have been told that this makes something like MS unlikely, but is that true. I'm getting quite worried that about this ?
There's also a weird feeling of "pressure" in my head, particularly behind my nose and eyes. Not a headache as such, just a tightness, and some issues with balance

Your symptoms are highly unlikely of MS.

A virus in spinal cord is called as Shingles or herpes zoster; you symptoms also does not point to it.

Your symptom of pressure in head and tightness, off balance etc are likely due to anxiety.

It is privilege assisting you.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

Thanks for this, it does help. I'm also feeling a little "clumsy" with some tasks, does this change anything ?. Also, what makes you think that anxiety is the issue here ?. Any help would be much appreciated

You are most welcome.

A diagnosis of MS usually comes from the internet search which can cause significant anxiety and secondary symptoms including clumsy with some tasks. Search engines can play on mind.

Just Answer is based on honor system. Experts are paid for time and expertise only when a positive rating is received.

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drarunphophalia/

Best wishes,

It was my pleasure to help you.
This is the link to my profile: