Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I live in Kenya. Last night I had sudden onset of fever,

Customer Question

I live in Kenya. Last night I had sudden onset of fever, chills, headache. Those symptoms have subsided, however this morning I awake with nausea and sever diaherra (total water). I am scheduled to travel a 30 hour plane ride in 10 hours. Advice?
JA: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?
Customer: Headache episodic, I probably have less than 2 headaches/year. Nausea episodic
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I was diagnosed with typhoid about five months ago. Hx diabetes, hypothyroidism
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Given your situation and upcoming 10 hour travel, it is imperative that you have this evaluated as soon as possible. If possible within the next few hours, the reason being sudden onset of fever with CHILLS along with diarrhea as well as a headache is very suspicious for malaria (given your location) ESPECIALLY if your fever was greater than 101-102 F. If you DID have a high fever and are NOT on any malaria prophylaxis then you should get this evaluated at a local hospiytal as malaria can cause the fever to return even while you are travelling and that could cause problems for you.

But at the same time, these symptoms can also be due to a viral illness which can cause all of these symptoms. Usually viral illnesses are self limiting and need to be managed with simple bed rest, increased intake of fluids along with intake of various medications.

If this is not malaria and you absolutely have to travel, then i would advise using the following drugs to make your jouner more tolerable,

1) Start using regular OTC tylenol/paracetamol, use 1 g thrice a day which should be able to control the fever

2) Get OTC pedialyte or ORS solution or make some on your own via recipes given on the internet and keep it with you while travelling, it is imperative that you stay hydrated at all times

3) Use OTC imodium if the diarrhea is very problematic and you can use this 12 hours apart but i would suggest keeping its use to a minimum.

4) Use the BRATY diet which consists of banans, rice, yogurt and toast for as long as you can and when travelling stick with yogurt or ORS. Since you can take liquids onboard the airplane then keep a sachet of the powder with you (available OTC) which you can mix on the plane with water

My suggestion is to have this evaluated first of all especially if the fever is greater than 102 F, if you plans cant be delayed for another day or two then use the above methods to control the symptoms but you will definitely need rest to recover.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.