Dr Chip (M.D.), Doctor
Experience:  20 yrs. in practice, includinge surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine and pain.
18722459

One week ago as i got out of bed I experienced a sudden

Customer Question

One week ago as i got out of bed I experienced a sudden sharp burning pain in my left hip area radiating halfway down my left leg. The pain lasted 5-10 seconds and abruptly stopped. Next day same thing plus two more times getting up out of a chair. Since then then this has ocurred dozens of times a day.
JA: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Any redness or swelling in the leg?
Customer: No redness or swelling. Symptoms seem a little worse if I do moderately strenuous activity
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: About 2 and half years ago I developed sciatica primarily in my right leg.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Chip (M.D.) replied 2 months ago.

Hello I'm Dr Chip

Any back pain with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

OK

This is obviously a pinched nerve problem and while it could be true sciatica--a pinch of the sciatic nerve itself--usually it's more of a disk problem in the low back with a nerve root compression

Right now it doesn't sound too serious but you need to see your doctor for an exam and an MRI of the lumbar spine to check that out

It definitely doesn't sound like a surgical problem but you may need some physical therapy to relieve the symptoms

Please let me know if you need any more information