Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 80 year old husbnd, who is very active, had left knee…

Customer Question
My 80 year old...

My 80 year old husbnd, who is very active, had left knee replacement surgery on June 13. He did great, and was up and about in no time. He is very compliant with his rehab, and was back to his usual routine. He started having pain 5 days ago, above the knee, and there is redness. He is almost afraid to move. Could you give some advice?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the symptoms? What seems to make the symptoms worse or better?

Since Wednesday. Movement makes it worse. Sitting still with ice makes it better.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No. BP is good as is cholestral. No diabetes or heart issues.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Medical
7/30/2017
Doctor: Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist replied 1 year ago
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist

Hi there,
This is Dr Basu, experienced Internal Medicine Specialist.
I am here to address your concerns and provide great service.

This can be due to the inflammation of the pre patellar bursa or joint fluid sac.
Pre patellar bursitis is another name.
Or this can be due to the bacterial infection at the area of redness.
Anti inflammatory medication ibuprofen can be tried 600 mg 3 times daily with food to reduce symptoms.
Application of ice pack several times a day is also helpful.
Please see his doctor soon for a clinical evaluation as well.
Best wishes,
It was my pleasure to help you today.
If I have answered all your questions, Please rate my response Excellent (click on the 5th star on top).
Please bookmark my profile for fast, reliable authentic answers!
This is the link to my profile:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-basu/